Apr 282012
 

How sad fernknits has been with so little knitting WIPs and FOs to show off!  I have continued to knit almost as much as always (my newfound sewing obsession has taken away some of my knitting time) but so much of it continues to be secret that it is very sad for my blog.  Over the weekend, I was delighted to cast off my Lanesplitter skirt, which I have been clicking away at for some time.  I suppose I could have posted some WIP updates of this, but for whatever reason I thought that would be boring for folks.

Anyway, tah dah!!!

Pattern: Lanesplitter Skirt from Knitty
Ravelry Project Page
Yarn: Noro Kureyon & Reclaimed Angora
Needles: US 3 for the body, US 5 for the lower ruffle, US 2 for the waistband

This skirt was fun and enjoyable to knit.  Basically, the pattern has the knitter cast on 4 stitches, and then increase until the desired length and width, at which point the knitter decreases back down and grafts the two sides together.  Knitting the skirt on the bias in this manner, I hypothesize, will limit the amount of sag and droop of the skirt, which I understand can be a challenge for handknit skirts.  Further limiting the sag and droop is the horizontal (but since it is on the bias, diagonal) patterning of stockinette and garter stitch stripes.  Though it is simple, I find this skirt pattern to be rather ingenious.  And a perfect pattern for self-striping yarns.

The finished skirt is surprisingly light and airy and almost feels as though I’m not even wearing a skirt.  I have already worn this skirt to work, and found that it was a nice piece to wear all day (very comfortable and maintained its shape throughout the day).  I was thinking that it might be nice to make another one that extends just past the knees.

Of course, I cannot knit a pattern and not incorporate my own modifications.

From the moment I decided to cast on for this skirt, I had planned to work a lower ruffle and do the waistband differently.  However, my first modification was to add a section at the front (somewhat visible in the below photo) to provide a little bit more shaping to accommodate my ample derriere.  For this section, I worked the stitch patterning horizontally by picking up the stitches on either side of the skirt and connecting the two sides as I knit across rather than grafting.  I was concerned that plain ol’ grafting would result in an odd seam and be difficult to line up the colors well, considering the variegated yarn.  With this new section of horizontal patterning, contrasting with the diagonal patterning, the interruption in the colorways flows along with the interruption in the directionality of the patterning.  And two interruptions feels more balanced to me.  Also, on this skirt, I prefer to have the two seams along the front, rather than just one seam.  Again, that just feels more balanced to me.

For the bottom ruffle, I picked up one stitch for every row and gradually worked some increases.  I was concerned that having too much ruffle would distort the shape of the skirt, so I kept the ruffle modest.  I finished it off with several rounds of ribbing so that I wouldn’t curl.

The waistband (which I stupidly forgot to photograph) I only picked up 1 stitch for every 2 rows and worked about 10 rounds of ribbing.  There is a significant difference in circumference around my low waist and hips, that I wanted to make sure the waistband was secure (which is why I used the formula of 1 stitch for every 2 rows for the waistband).

And I love the finished skirt.  I think it will be a fun addition to my wardrobe.

  One Response to “~ Knitting FO: Lanesplitter Skirt ~”

  1. I love it! And I want one now. I really, really do.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>