Here we are, still in January, and I have my second sewing FO finished, thereby satisfying my goal for January of sewing at least two pieces this month. I know that I wrote in my previous post about how I was excited to make a button up shirt, but then I found myself making this dress instead. I have no explanation other than I fell under the spell of a whim.
So this dress is a Cyntha Rowley design and it was against all my better judgment that I made this, considering my novice sewing skills and the pattern’s apparent advanced difficulty level (as many have stated over on Pattern Review). Of course, those who found it difficult made View A, which has some interesting straps across the front. I actually made View B, which has a nice rounded neckline in the front (so much easier to sew and, honestly, I dislike those straps on the front anyway). Both Views also feature a deep yoke below the fitted bodice and a full skirt with gathers at the yoke.
View B does have a version of the straps in the back. However, I did not find them particularly difficult to install. This does not mean that I installed them well, but I did install them in the manner pictured below without having to pick out stitches or resew anything. In all honesty, except for being unsure that I was installing them correctly, I found their installation to be surprisingly simple.
The rest of the dress also came together surprisingly easy. I’m someone who generally has to unpick her stitches eleventy-billion times before it comes out sort of okay, but each seam of this dress went together easily and satisfactorily on the first try. Perhaps I’m getting better at this sewing business or perhaps this was just a well-drafted pattern, either way, it was wonderful how easy this pattern came together for me!
Actually, that’s not quite true… I did have to make a few adjustments to the fit. Despite conducting a careful analysis of the finished measurements and sizing recommendations, the bodice initially came out way way way too small. The armholes were also WAY WAY WAY too small. So I did have to fix those two things (which were very simple fixes, actually).
The fabric is a cotton broadcloth that I’ve had in my stash for about three years and I’m very happy that I was able to use every last bit on this dress. A perfect stashbust!
Finally, regarding the fit, flatter, and style of this dress, I am on the fence. The bodice is very shaped and fitted but then the skirt is just this big floopy droop with no shaping. I did cut a larger size for the skirt than the bodice, but I feel that all of the gathers of the skirt to be rather frumpy. I hypothesize that my cotton broadcloth doesn’t have enough drape to make this skirt hang very flatteringly and that a different fabric might work a lot better. Oh well, win some, not-win some.
I’m not sure what my next sewing project will be. I’ve been thinking about sticking to more Tried and True (TNT) patterns lately and focusing on busting my stash, but I’m also very excited to keep trying new patterns. I also have some knitting stuff to tell you about, if I can find the time to get some photos. This is a particularly busy week for me AND we’re having a very gray inversion in the valley, so it’s pretty bad for taking nice photos of my makes. In fact, for all of these photos, I was standing in front of our ginormous south-facing window to harness as much natural light as possible, and it’s still very gloomy.